micro:mag is the unofficial micro:bit community magazine written by the community and managed by a small but mighty team of dedicated community volunteers. Our free digital magazine is read by thousands of people all around the world by a variety of people from all ages and backgrounds. We currently release a new issue every 3 months.
We are committed volunteers who strive to create the best magazine we can for the community. We’re a friendly group of people who are dedicated to what we do, and we hope this is something the community can see. We volunteer anywhere between 3 hours or more a week making sure that the magazine runs smoothly. We all have different backgrounds of experience, some of us are software developers and even some are Makerspace Directors, we all have something to “bring to the table”.
As one of our editors, you will help with a number of editorial tasks. For example, editing articles when they’re submitted by contributors, checking for grammatical errors in the article, putting that article into a magazine format using Adobe InDesign as well as helping contributors with any questions they may have. You also get to review the latest and greatest micro:bit add-ons of which in most cases you get to keep to use in your own code clubs/workshops. Do note though, to apply for this role you must be a commited member of the team.
Please note this position is unpaid, this goes for all of our roles.
Duties for this editor role include:
- Editing articles for spelling and grammar errors
- Working with contributors to ensure the article meets our guidelines
- Helping with generic team tasks (answering emails from brands etc)
- Putting articles in a Magazine Format using Adobe InDesign
- Reviewing micro:bit Products
- Working with brands who would like to advertise in the magazine
It’d be nice to have someone that:
- Is a passionate member of the micro:bit/maker/tech community
- Is familiar with the magazine
- Experience of working in a team of volunteers and having good teamwork skills
- Basic experience of Adobe InDesign or equivalent
- Good spelling and grammar knowledge
- Using a micro:bit with add-on boards etc
Please Note: We are looking for 2 Editorial Assistants to join the team
We will email you an application form once you have submitted your details via the "Apply Online" button below.