- 1 active job
*** Note: This job has been filled. If we have openings in the future, we will post them as they occur. ***
Do you eat, breath and and dream electronic circuits? Do you read data sheets for fun? Do you keep a copy of Horowitz and Hill handy for bedtime or bathroom reading?
Then you just might be a good fit for Tactual Labs Co.’s Leesburg Research Center in Northern Virginia. We are seeking a talented and dynamic Electronic Gadget Builder / Maker to join our team in designing and prototyping the technology of the future. This is a rare opportunity for the right person to make a world-wide impact.
Build stuff! Get patents! Achieve geeky glory!
- Strong background in analog and digital circuit design, printed circuit board design and prototyping
- Ability to take ideas from other engineers and turn them into working and useful demos and prototypes
- Experience with embedded programming and interfacing embedded systems and prototype circuits with other hardware and computers
- Experience with scripting languages, such as Python
The ideal candidate will have strong experience in designing and building hardware and software systems, including:
- Microcontroller programming
- (Plus) FPGA programming and HDL experience
- (Plus) Radio-frequency electronics experience
- Signal processing and conditioning
- Interfacing analog circuits
- Experience in bringing up and testing new circuit boards and designs and firm knowledge of common lab equipment (oscilloscopes, signal generators, etc.).
- Experience with common EDA packages (schematic capture, PCB layout)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solid teamwork and leadership skills
- Independent, self starter
As an Electronic Gadget Builder / Maker, your responsibilities will span various aspects of design, prototyping, testing and debugging:
- Work closely with platform architects and engineers to understand their requirements.
- Research, evaluate and choose electronic components and techniques
- Design, build, test, debug and demonstrate electronic circuits and supporting software.
- Work with outside vendors to create and possibly mass-produce prototype devices
- Work closely with platform architects and engineers to document new intellectual property
- Design analog and digital circuits
- Design and layout printed circuits boards
- Have the boards fabricated and stuffed
- Bring up and test the circuit boards
- Write embedded software that runs on the boards and interfaces to them from other computers
- Collaborate closely with Tactual hardware team to debug system-level and integration challenges
- Ideal candidate must be self-reliant, self-motivated and able to juggle multiple tasks under pressure and tight timescales
- Comfort with resolving complex software, hardware, and systems issues such as board bring-up and integration with external peripherals is a must
- Strong communications skills are a plus, as success is dependent upon coordinating with colleagues and partners across multiple time-zones
Education: Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate in electrical engineering, physics or a related field. High-performing individuals without a college degree may be considered.