Design, develop, test, and evaluate integrated systems for improving Product Distribution Center (PDC) efficiency and maximizing space utilization including human work factors, work measurement, inventory control, material flow, cost analysis, and production improvement.Responsibilities Must be able to…
- Recommend revisions to methods of operation, material handling, equipment layout, or other changes to increase production or improve utilization.
- Estimate production cost and effect of process changes for management review, action, and control.
- Communicate with PDC management and user personnel to develop and maintain production standards.
- Apply statistical methods and perform mathematical calculations to optimize distribution processes, staff requirements, and production standards.
- Coordinate with suppliers, staff, and management personnel regarding procedural changes and project implementations.
- Draft and design layout of equipment, materials, and workspace to illustrate maximum efficiency.
- Collect and analyze operating statistics for bench marking purposes.
- Act as a liaison between the PDC and other departments within Digi-Key to resolve order-processing issues and make improvements.
- Evaluate workstation design and placement to continually improve work environment safety and productivity.
- Conduct time studies to determine optimal operating procedures.
- Collaborate with Operational Excellence team and Training staff to monitor process compliance and improve training.
Other typical tasks may also include…
- Application of Lean Six Sigma methodologies
- Test planning and execution
- Lead small to medium improvement projects from requirements gathering to testing and into production.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience Minimum/Essential Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering or closely related discipline with 1-3 or more years of related work experience
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problem solving.
- Active listener, giving full attention to coworker input and actively following up to acquire needed information from key contacts within the company.
- Proficient at complex problem-solving by identifying problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Excellent people skills
- Able to work independently with minimum daily supervision but always responsive to management assignments and expectations
- Willing to pursue hands-on experience in many different areas of the company that may not involve core engineering responsibilities, for the purpose of researching issues and acquiring data.
- Familiarity with computers and computer software applications (PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.) required for optimizing engineering job performance is required.
- Experience with AutoCad or AutoMod is a plus
- Ability to sit in front of a computer for a minimum of two hours before taking breaks or lunches
- Must demonstrate the following behavioral competencies: attention to detail, assertiveness, communication, continuous learning, creativity, customer service, decisiveness, influence, information seeking, professionalism, problem solving, positive attitude and team work
Preferred Qualifications/Selection Criteria:
- Lean Six Sigma Certification a plus
- MiniTab experience is a plus
- MOST Certification is a plus