Princeton University Library (PUL) seeks a resourceful and collaborative individual to help launch our library makerspace in the role of Makerspace Specialist. The PUL Makerspace opened in the spring of 2021 in a newly renovated 2000 s.f. space that is easily visible and reachable from several parts of campus. Located on the A floor of Lewis Library next to the Engineering Library Circulation Desk, the PUL Makerspace is close to two related spaces - the StudioLab managed by the Council for Science and Technology (CST) and the Digital Learning Lab managed by the McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning.
Reporting to the Engineering Librarian, the Makerspace Specialist will develop programs and services to launch a new library makerspace as part of a renovation in Lewis Library and Fine Hall. The new space has opened with a small set of equipment that will grow over time. The space is open to the campus community. The Makerspace Specialist will play a key role in determining the program and services provided. In addition to collaborating with existing services such as support for GIS, statistical software and visualization software, the Makerspace Specialist will connect with subject specialists, library liaisons, peers across campus and at peer institutions.
This is a full-time two-year term position which will require some evening hours, with a flexible schedule to enable student-centered programs.
The successful candidate will:
• Provide consulting services for undergraduates, graduate students and faculty engaged in making in a variety of academic disciplines.
Maintain the makerspace equipment so that it is functional and safe, and manage inventory.
• Staff the makerspace including during some evening hours, and work a flexible schedule that enables student-centered programs.
• Brainstorm, explore, plan, implement, and support programming.
• Provide technical and creative direction, hiring, supervision, and training to students employed by the makerspace
• Participate actively in relevant library committees and groups, especially the Makerspaces Task Force.
• Collaborate proactively with other makerspaces around campus and at peer institutions,
• Exhibit excellent interpersonal skills and foster a welcoming and inclusive environment for a diverse group of students and faculty.
• Bachelors’ degree in an area of science, engineering, technology or the arts.
• Knowledge and experience with 3D printing, large format printing and PCB/CNC mills, and helping others with these technologies.
• Willingness to work flexible hours in order to accommodate programs and trainings.
• Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and a high degree of professionalism and initiative.
• Ability to think creatively, work independently and function effectively as part of a team. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to handle multiple varied and competing priorities.
• Experience with and enthusiasm for STEM education/outreach.
• Ability to work collaboratively with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Masters degree in library science, instructional design, nonprofit management or other relevant discipline.
• Knowledge and experience with one or more of the following: rapid prototyping (Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Makey Makey), art and craft projects, electronics tinkering and creative technology (computer programming for creative applications, interactive media, robotics &amp; design projects).
• Demonstrated commitment to the provision of high-quality public service.
• Work experience with academic research libraries.
• Experience supervising student workers.
*Candidates may be asked to share evidence of relevant work upon interview.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Link to posting: https://main-princeton.icims.com/jobs/12605/makerspace-specialist/job?mode=view&amp;mobile=false&amp;width=701&amp;height=500&amp;bga=true&amp;needsRedirect=false&amp;jan1offset=-300&amp;jun1offset=-240