We are seeking
… a unicorn of the science hardware variety.
Lots of the following fits you…
- Self starter
- Experienced maker
- Passionate about open source, sharing, and expanding science
- Science hardware developer
- Experienced in sourcing, storing, stocking, assembling, boxing, shipping, and general supply chain management on a small scale (5 - 200 units / month)
- Enjoys helping people to make sure they are having the experience you designed for
In a perfect world you would also…
- Evaluate, cost, and discuss potential new projects for manufacture and sales
- Make beautiful documentation
- Create amazing and engaging video tutorials
- Communicate your progress to the world, and build strong brands around the open science hardware you build
But most importantly, you can…
- Do anything when it needs to get done, and know when and how to hand it to someone else
We are seeking someone to manage the manufacture, assembly, fulfillment, and technical support for several small to medium open science hardware projects (our-sci.net Reflectometer, Sci-Bots Dropbot to start). Currently, those companies manage their own assembly and sales. We believe by combining forces, we can more efficiently manage costs, increase marketing through common branding, and ultimately provide assembly/sales/marketing/branding services to other small to medium Open Science Hardware projects.
This position is entrepreneurial in nature, and you will help structure the project moving forward. This includes creating systems for parts intake, storage, SOPs, consolidating existing documentation + expanding on it, and systems for customer support. You’ll be working closely with Our Sci and Sci-Bots to support the transition, and eventually working with other developers of Open Science Hardware who want to use the service to get their product and process into the world. As the project expands, you’ll build out staff to cover the core responsibilities.
Pay and Location
$55,000 - $65,000 per year to start, commensurate with depth and breadth of experience in a broad range of skills (design, assembly, documentation, branding / marketing, etc.).
Position is full time and location is in Ann Arbor, MI.
Initial position is fully funded for 1 year. Ongoing funding will depend on sales + development - but you will have strong partners supporting your success!