- 1 active job
Live Aware Labs is currently on the hunt for an exceptional Senior Firmware Engineer to help us level up the performance and feature set of Live Link. Qualified candidates are at home with kernel configuration, writing device drivers, and helping to debug both hardware and software interfaces. An ideal candidate is constantly curious about the state of the art, committed to long term quality, and highly collaborative. Candidates are inclusive and empathetic by nature and are always motivated to support others to achieve beyond their own expectations.
As a Senior Firmware Engineer, you write the core of what makes Live Aware Labs so special. Your code connects people across the world working together toward a common goal. You perform a mix of production and prototyping work to realize the vision of Live Aware Labs. You own technical decisions for broad and diverse areas of work. You help maintain the roadmap of features for Live Aware Labs. As one of the first LAL employees, you are integral to charting the course of the company and imbuing it with a collaborative culture.
Your primary duty is helping to create a reliable and robust product from a bare-bones prototype. Live Link is still in its beta phase and we need a firmware specialist to move it towards production. Your work involves prioritizing and implementing new features as well as maintaining and improving existing ones. You have a passion for learning new skills and approach your work with an apprentice mindset. You are highly motivated by the success of the project and adept at quick, iterative prototypes as well as understanding how to build for the long-term. You strive to achieve the goals of the overall experience through the lens of performance, maintainability, extensibility, and security.
- Write the on-device code that helps Live Link do its magic
- Iterate to continuously improve device performance and reliability
- Bridge the hardware and software teams and consult on their decisions
- Maintain a healthy codebase and contribute to open-source projects
- Research new tools and methods to solve problems and unlock new features
- Daily collaboration with hardware engineers, software engineers, usability researchers and partners to assess needs, solicit feedback and evangelize
- Regular participation in usability research to identify methods for improving our efficiency and effectiveness.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with embedded firmware, low-level software, or other transferable experience
- Deep understanding of Unix-based operating systems
- Familiarity with hardware interfaces (I2C, I2S, SPI, UART, MIPI, etc) and how to write drivers for them
- Excitement to learn about video and data-streaming protocols
- Experience with git or other source control versioning
- Strong analytical and debugging skills
- Ability to work well in a fluid environment as creative and technical challenges evolve
- Ability to gather consensus and drive decisions across disciplines
- Ability to proactively identify and resolve issues
- Ability to own large technical areas
- Excellent partnership and communication skills
- Self-motivated and passionate
- Ability to work gracefully under pressure
- Curious about new industry trends and best practices
- Keen sense for user experience
- Comfortable working in an on-site and remote environment
- Experience or interest in computer vision and machine learning
- Familiarity with gstreamer pipelines and bindings
- Experience with creating custom networks and routing within Linux
- Detailed knowledge of ARM-based systems and compilers
- A general interest in exploring the medium of real-time video streaming
Interested? Apply here or send us an email at email@example.com
Live Aware Labs firmly believes in creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company and qualified candidates will feel strongly about that as well. We also encourage employee growth whenever possible. If this job is exciting to you but feels a little outside your current skillset, please apply anyway!