- 1 active job
We're looking to add a remote-based technical customer service member to our small team. We make lighting, effects, sound, and video products for hobbyists around the world. Many of our customers are adult LEGO builders, so if you're a LEGO fan yourself, all the better!
With this position, we're looking for someone with a semi-technical background who can spend ~1 hour per day (total of 5 hours/week) answering our customer service inbound e-mail queue, interacting with customers on our online Forum, and writing knowledgebase articles (internal/external) based on common customer issues or requests. Actual hours worked is not critical-- what matters is that you're reliable and can be counted on to devote 5 hours per week to this job (working weekdays/nights and spreading out the work so the queue doesn't stack up).
What do we mean by a semi-technical background? You should have a basic understanding of electronics and also be able to translate that knowledge into easy-to-understand nontechnical communications. We'll schedule meetings with you to get you up to speed on how our products work (x works with y but not z, etc.), but from there we're looking for someone who can interact with customers directly and build rapport by helping non-technical people solve semi-technical issues. We have staff to handle escalations for issues you're not able to resolve, so you won't need to know it all! Because many of our customers are non-technical, a key skillset for this job is patience and helping people walk through simple steps to solve problems.
We don't expect the e-mail work to take the full 5 hours per week, so in the remaining time, we'd like you to be able to review past customer issues and help with writing knowledgebase articles (internally-facing and externally-facing) to grow our KB. This is where the ability to spot trends, put yourself in the customers' shoes, and write easy-to-understand KB articles will be critical.
Our company has just three people working in our Minnesota HQ, so you'd be the 4th. Because this position is 100% remote, proactive communication skills and the ability to build rapport with our Minnesota team is essential.
This role does not include any real-time customer support channels such as phone or chat.
Technical Customer Service Representative Job Responsibilities:
- Serves customers by providing product and service information and resolving product and service problems.
- Attracts potential customers by answering product and service questions and suggesting information about other products and services.
- Resolves product or service problems by clarifying the customer’s complaint, determining the cause of the problem, selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem, expediting correction or adjustment, and following up to ensure resolution.
- Recommends potential products or services to management by collecting customer information and analyzing customer needs.
- Prepares product or service knowledgebase articles by collecting and analyzing customer information.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
This is a freelance, work-from-anywhere position with a 5-hour per week maximum. No benefits are provided. The pay rate for this position is $20/hr.
Technical Customer Service Representative Qualifications / Skills:
- Native English speaker
- Must have Internet access with a computer capable of accessing our systems online
- Passion for technology and helping customers succeed with our products
- Ability to represent our brand professionally and responsibly
- Previous customer service experience using e-mail channels in a semi-technical or technical capacity
- Product knowledge (will train on our specific products)
- Market knowledge (basic understanding of DIY electronics, and knowledge of/experience with LEGO is a plus)
- Quality focus (must be an excellent communicator with the ability to translate technical terms into easy-to-understand nontechnical writing)
- Problem solving
- Documentation skills
- Resolving conflict (must have patience and be able to manage any difficult customer interactions-- thankfully we have wonderful customers, but occasionally people do get upset)
- Analyzing information (being able to review past e-mail questions, determine topics for relevant KB articles, and author those articles)
- We use the Zoho Suite for customer support (Zoho Desk), so prior experience with Desk is a plus, though not required. We would like to see prior experience working with some e-mail support suite (i.e., Zendesk, etc.)
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Experience with Arduino is a plus
- Experience with LEGO is a plus-- if you know what a MOC is, even better!
- Applicants should be able to provide samples of articles/blog posts/etc. they have written in the past
If you're passionate about technology, have great communication skills, and are looking to pick up a little extra work each week, this could be a great job for you. We look forward to hearing from you.